Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sri Lankan Cricket - Identity in the Innings

Do you know how I spent the last World Cup Finals? Let me remind you it was Sri Lanka versus Australia, in Barbados. I was in Colombo. I had to stay home due to security fears. As things started to go Australia's way, the LTTE air raided over Colombo, prompting a city-wide blackout. Fortunately I had power still left on my laptop and internet connection. But obviously it's not the same; having to track a game by the score rather than being able to watch it.

This World Cup for Sri Lankan fans has been drastically different, not only due to the relative peace, but because many of the matches have been played in front of the homecrowd. And what an electric atmosphere it has been here! I was lucky enough to get tickets to the quarter-finals and semi-finals; through painstaking efforts however. The 35,000 tickets for each game were sold out within hours, and well before Sri Lanka had even qualified. So once they had made it to the knock-out stages, fans were on a desperate scramble. I for one, had to call every Tom, Dick, and De Silva in Colombo. In the end I propositioned a TukTuk driver ten times the original price. But that just meant for me that a $3 ticket went up to $30.

Watching the game right infront of your eyes is an experience. At the beginning of the match I was a little disoriented with the lack of commentary, being so used to watching matches on TV. Soon I realised the experience was about being in the crowd just as much as it was to watch the players in your vicinity. Premadasa Stadium was awash with rivers of blue and yellow, and I was soon reminded that Sri Lankans love any excuse to party. Every time there was a boundary or the end of an over, the crowd erupted into dance. And when that Baila music came on - the soundtrack to the Island - not a soul stood still. Behind every game of cricket in the sub-continent however, simmers a whole pot of socio-political completixies. It's never just a simple game of cricket.

I've been hearing for years now that Muslims in Sri Lanka support Pakistan over Sri Lanka. At the games however, I encountered many Muslims; even women wearing full hijabs in the baking sun draped in Sri Lankan flags. However, the more pressing issue has always been the Tamil-Sinhala one.


For the Semi-Final after party I went out with two doctors I had met at the game. One of Sinhalese origin and one being Sri Lankan Muslim. Knowing that I'm of Tamil ethnicity and living in Canada, they asked me whether I was supporting Sri Lanka or not. It reminded me of internet propoganda circulated by some in the Tamil Diaspora I saw a few days ago. It had pictures of horrific war incidents, and a slogan that read, "If you see their National Sport, you may not want to support their Cricket. Boycott Sri Lankan Cricket." It had evoked much in me. I was reminded that those even being born in a country, could choose to go so vehementlty against it. I strongly believe that those behind this propaganda have every right to hold their views, if I am entitled to mine. Just because of artificially imposed state dilieanations (imposed by the wonderful colonizers) Sri Lanka is not organically one nation.

I know that wearing my Sri Lankan cricket jersey will offend some Tamils. I know that I wouldn't wear it Canada. But really Sri Lanka has always been home to me - growing up here, and coming back every year at length. Having lived in Colombo, as opposed to the North or the East, I grew up with both Tamil and Sinhalese friends. I was told as a kid by many Tamils here, that a Sinhalese person is anyday my brother or sister over the Indian Tamil. Even today, after having spent many years out of the Island, I am more culturally akin to the Sinhalese people of Sri Lanka than the Indian Tamils I have met. So when the two doctors asked me who I was supporting, I asserted "Sri Lanka, But...."

The national TV cricket analysis is in Sinhalese. They sure enough have a Tamil guy to speak for 20 minutes or so in Tamil every now and then, but I've realised just how problematic this language issue is. There is also ofcourse Russell Arnold, the national cricketer of Tamil origin on the main panel. He speaks in Sinhalese. Muttiah Muralitharan is the crowd favorite at the stadium. He gets the standing ovation and the chants everytime, and Kumar Sangakkarra even declared him, "The Icon of Sri Lanka". However Sangakkarra goes on to address the homecrowd in Sinhalese. For the minority of Tamils in North in East, and for me (who speaks about 10 words of Sinhalese) it serves as a boundary - one that disallows us from sharing in that 'Sri Lankan' spirit. Having lived in England and heard all the "go home"s, I've never felt truly English supporting the football team. Having lived in Canada for just a few years, I've never felt truly Canadian supporting the hockey team. Sri Lanka, I so desperately wished, was my country. But even here I've had to swallow the uncomfortable reality that, even though I can survive without a word of Sinhalese, I can't feel truly complete to this island without knowing it.

I expressed to my doctor friends that I can accept this for now. They laughed and said it wasn't true. That Sri Lanka is no way not just for Sinhala Buddhists. I shrugged my shoulders. Then I said there's just one thing I want immediately for Sri Lankan cricket and for ethnic solidarity. I know for a fact there are world-class potential cricket players in the North and East. The recruiting for the team only takes place in elite schools in the Colombo and Kandy regions. Aravinda de Silva, national cricket hero, and Coco-Cola have already sampled cricket camps in the North. But if they could reach out all over the island. If they could reach out to the poor, rural villages of the South also; then the Sri Lankan cricket team could have even more crop to pick its creme. My family are from Manipay, Jaffna, and when our local Russell Arnold was playing on the national stage we were so excited. If talent from the Sri Lankan villages of those in the diaspora circulating propaganda were to one day play on the Sri Lankan Cricket Team, it could potentially engage their interest and pride - and well - maybe we could break a boundary - off the field.

5 comments:

  1. I actually remember being online, chatting to you as I was following the live scoreboard and all that commotion was going on in Sri Lanka. Can't actually believe that was 4 years ago. How time flies...

    I understand how you feel though. I think that I could get behind the SL cricket team 100% if like you say they provided opportunities for those from deprived backgrounds and from the north to at least try out for the national team.

    I also find it weird that Muttiah Muralitharan is not only one of the most recognisable cricket players in SL but in the world and yet he has not once been captain. It's possible he was offered and declined but I don't know.

    It's really for him that I hope SL wins this tournament so he can go out on a high...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check this out Suz:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sinhala/news/story/2011/03/110329_cricketcharity.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for captaincy.. in Cricket, it's a hard job that requires a certain mastery. Tendulkar failed both times he was captain. Not every great cricketer makes a great captain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my opinion on question of united sri lanka and cricket -
    some ppl may have an overly romantic unrealistic idea of what is "united sri lanka".
    some ppl want some thing like a family or a community where everyone shares everything with complete ethnic solidity.
    some of these ppl then blame various ppl ( prez, gosl, sinhalese, tamils. etc ) for not making that day dream, a reality.

    that is bs.

    imo a united sri lanka should a place where individuals can act in their own selfish individual interests ( these include immediate family interests). a place where if any individual needs a group identity, he/she will look for it mainly in sri lankan identity rather than tribal racist group identities.

    at present sri lanka is going in right direction in this regard.

    while not all sri lankans support sri lankan cricket, many across ethnic lines do. if something like support for cricket team cuts across racist identities and strengthen sri lankan identity, then it should be encouraged by all those who want to see racism decline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment. You made a really practical point.

    I want to know what you think of the language situation specifically? Is it the obligation of non-Sinhala speaking Tamils to learn Tamil?

    Say, hypothetically-speaking, that the roles were reversed: and that after independence, the minority Sinhalese people of the country were subject to Tamil as the prevailing language. A Sinhalese person would still be able to go about with their language, but the national cricket captain addressed the crowd in Tamil. It would be interesting to find out what you think about this? Would there and should there be acceptance or resentment? Ofcourse this is just cricket - we are talking about, there are much more important ways in which language effects lives. For the sake of topic (identity) I am asking.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete