Friday, March 18, 2011

Jaffna Wrap Up - The Need for Help

I am back in Colombo – somewhat burnt out. Leaving to Batticaloa tonight, so I know that now is the only time I can blog. Being back in Colombo feels like I’m now in a luxury haven compared to Jaffna, but the pangs have set in of me missing the Canadian comfort. Basically I never want to see a cockroach again, and I miss not having to carry a toilet roll everywhere I go.
My 11 days in the North was the best days of my Sri Lankan trip so far. Not in the traditional sense of “enjoyment” – I’d give that to the beach parties in Unawatuna. But in the sense I’ve gained far more than I could have imagined to expect. It has been beyond worthwile. The reason being: In Galle, I was merely a small fish in a big pond. The voluntary work was more of a community service, worthy, but I didn’t feel like I could offer change in any lasting way. In Jaffna, I’ve realized the mission.
My very last day in Jaffna, Brother Lavakumar took me to visit IDP (Internally Displaced Peoples) families. First we were at a small camp in Udavil, where around 30 families resettled from 1991 have been living in semi-permanent shelters. Their shelter is very basic. Only one family has electricity, and everyone uses a communal water supply. That said, it was important for me to begin to realize that it is not better facilities that people need alone. As humans, we’ll always desire more comfort, but regardless we adjust to what we have. What the people were talking to Brother Lavakumar was not about getting electricity, or a personal bathroom - but bank loans. They want to start up their own businesses.
A 1 hour motorbike ride later, we were in the fishing village of Thondamarnara. Here many families resettled from the last wave of fighting are now residing. They are the poorest of the country, and many are low caste. The caste system is still a major issue in Jaffna. Though not explicitly, children from low castes are discriminated by the school system. Apparently, when they give the area they are from on a school application, it is an indicator of their caste. Just a few days earlier, the Brother had asked if I could write an appeal to some Australian friends of his for funding. I had done so, outlining the need for tables and benches, and hiring more teachers for an after-school initiative that had begun. The main thrust of the appeal was empowerment. While it is just as important for those affected by war to receive infrastructure development, the tool of education can provide the ability for future generations to elevate their communities themselves. Now having the chance to visit the after school classes first hand, I realized just how eager the children are to learn, especially English – a vital language needed if they are to succeed in Sri Lanka. Even though barefoot, and studying on the ground, they are eager. It made me think of my Dad, from a very poor family, who didn’t have shoes until he was 16; did all his science labs barefoot, and yet achieved so much because he had been given the opportunity of education. While there is a government school for these children, it is not wholly effective, and the after-school classes are designed to enhance their education. The families could definitely not afford the Rs.300 that private tuition costs, so Brother Lavakumar started this free iniative. He hopes to expand the project by opening a montessori, starting O Level tuition, and increasing the number of children and teachers.
The Brother took me next to visit individual families in Thondamarnara. These families have lost all their livelihoods from the war, many now living with relatives. There lies a major difference between these families and the ones I had met from Uduvil. Remember that the Uduvil families had been living there for more than 10 years. These recent IDPs in Thondamarnara, having no permanent address, do not qualify for bank loans, as well as receiving no compensation or welfare assistance. They all have skills. One man, through bombing, lost his shop and also the full functioning of his left leg. He is only 30. Now he travels 3 hours in total a day to a gas station where he works pumping gas for Rs.7000/monthly. (Around $70, £35). Half of his salary would go on the bus fare. He insistingly believes that if he opened a small shop near where he is staying it would thrive; saying there is demand. He needs a loan of Rs.100,000 ($1000) but cannot get it from the bank. Another man has 7 children, one in a LTTE detention centre. His fishing net only is capable of catching small fish. With Rs.70,000 he could purchase a net that would double his income. He was the sweetest man ever, and wouldn't let me leave without having tea and a bundle of fried fish. None of them ask for money -  it is Brother Lavakumar who fills me in on their needs. These people are not after handouts nor monthly donations. They simply want a loan - a chance to rebuild the lives they once had where they were taking care of themselves and their families.
Talking with my Uncle, part of the Church, he detailed to me a legitimate and accountable way in which funds raised for loans for IDPs can be sent, and auditted. The major bonus: 0% Admistration costs! Major charities can take up to 40% to pay for their professional foreign expertise, but The Sri Lankan Methodist Church working in Jaffna is a grassroots establishment, utilising local knowledge, and trusted by the goverment; thus having full access of the area. Before I make an official appeal to those who may be interested, I have requested the G.S. (like a District Official) of Thondamarnara to verify the stories of the individuals with his records. There is always the possibility of exaggerated stories.

What is important to note, is that at one time - succeeding in studies spelt the opportunity to go abroad. To leave the island, and all its lack of opportunity given the civil war, was a dream for many. This caused a serious brain drain in last 30 years. Since the end of the war, the locals of Jaffna do not have such a desperation to leave - most of them wanting to stay here forever. By empowering them through education, maybe this sounds idealistic, the region has a chance to flourish and avert social unrest. To do this however, opportunity needs to be created. Development needs to happen.

3 comments:

  1. Whatever you're thinking of, I'm in. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its great to see you highlighting the issues of these forgotten people. At the end of the day, they are humans too and they also deserve the opportunity to live in peace and harmony. Keep up the good work miss. Well done to you. As your great grand mum once said to me "Always take care of others before you take care of yourself" I am still questioning that phrase. But the satisfaction you get from making another person happy is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ramiya, contact us when you are in Colombo before leaving for Canada. Appa should have our contact details. Chandrika and Nava

    ReplyDelete